This innovative burger is made with a stout beer mushroom duxelle, pickle-tomato slaw and a spicy pimento cheese spread.
2 tbsp. olive oil
1⁄4 cup finely minced shallots
1 lb. crimini mushrooms, puréed
1⁄4 cup good-quality beef stock
1 12-oz. bottle stout beer
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. + 1 tbsp. ground black pepper
1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1⁄2 cup sour cream
3 tbsp. smashed pimentos
1⁄4 cup thinly sliced scallion tops
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
2 tsp. + 1 tbsp. chipotle hot pepper sauce
1 tsp. + 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
3 cups finely shredded cabbage
1⁄2 cup finely minced sweet Maui or Vidalia onion
1⁄2 cup thinly sliced grape tomatoes
1 tbsp. diced pickled jalapeños
1⁄2 cup finely sliced bread-
1⁄4 cup pickle juice
1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
1⁄2 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
21⁄4 lb. ground chuck
1⁄4 cup Zinfandel wine
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 to 4 tbsp. vegetable oil to brush, clean grill
6 41⁄2-in. kaiser rolls, split
1. To make stout mushroom duxelle (Mississippi Mud): Heat 10-in. skillet over medium-high heat. When skillet is hot, pour in olive oil and spread evenly. Add chopped shallots and sauté about 1 minute. Add mushrooms, stock, stout, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. ground pepper. Lower heat to medium and reduce until thick, but not entirely dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. Place in bowl and cover with plastic wrap; hold in warm place.
2. For cheese spread: Put grated cheese, sour cream, smashed pimentos, scallion tops, mayonnaise, 1 tbsp. chipotle hot pepper sauce and 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce in food processor and blend for approximately 10 pulses. Place in bowl, cover with plastic and hold chilled.
3. To make butter pickle and tomato slaw: Put cabbage, half the onions, tomatoes, jalapeño pepper and pickles in bowl. In separate bowl blend 1 tsp. chipotle hot pepper sauce, pickle juice, mayonnaise, celery seeds, 1 tsp. cracked black pepper and 1 tsp. salt. Add dressing to cabbage mixture and toss until well blended. Cover with plastic wrap and hold chilled.
4. To make burger patties: Combine beef, remaining 1 tbsp. ground black pepper, 1 tsp. chipotle hot pepper sauce, wine, garlic, remaining minced sweet onion and 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce. Avoid over-mixing beef. Divide meat into 6 equal portions. Form into patties that are slightly larger than buns and put slight indention into middle of patties. Hold chilled until ready to grill.
5. Heat grill to medium-high and brush with grill brush. Then rub grill with oil. Place burger patties on grill and cook about 3 to 5 minutes, or until juices start to form on top. Flip burgers and cook about 2 minutes more, longer for well-done burger.
6. Top each burger with about 2 tbsp. of warm Mississippi Mud mushroom duxelle and cook about 1 minute more. Place burgers on plate and cover lightly. Place rolls on grill, cut side down, to lightly toast.
7. To assemble burgers: Spread little of cheese mixture on tops and bottoms of toasted buns and place burgers on buns. Toss slaw, drain excess liquid. Place dollop slaw on patties.