Mango Coconut Dessert Risotto
Desserts with global flavors have wide appeal beyond ethnic restaurants, especially when the ingredients are put in the hands of talented pastry chefs. Here, Chef Ang combines tamarind, mango and coconut to infuse a glorified rice pudding with Asian flavors. The fruit contributes sweet juiciness, the tamarind, a bit of sour and serrano chilies, a subtle blast of heat. The result is a pleasing balance of flavors and textures.
5 oz. water
6 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. tamarind puree
1 tbsp. agar agar
1/2 oz. egg whites
Mango Chili Jam
1 large ripe mango, peeled, seeded and diced
1/2 serrano chili, finely diced
1/2 cup (4 oz.) sugar, divided
1 tsp. pectin
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp. butter
12 oz. (2 cups) Arborio rice
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
5 cups water
1 cup coconut milk
2 oz. (1/4 cup) coconut butter
1 large ripe mango, peeled and thinly sliced into ribbons
Kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced, as needed for garnish
- Prepare Tamarind Glass: Combine water, sugar, tamarind puree, agar agar and salt in a blender; puree. Pour mixture into med. saucepan over high heat; bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, transfer to bowl, cover and chill until set, about 1 hr.
- Preheat oven to 200’F. Pour chilled tamarind mixture into blender with egg whites; puree. Spread mixture as thin as possible onto a silpat- or parchment-lined half sheet pan. Bake until crisp, 40 to 60 min. Remove from oven, let cool on pan; break into shards. Store loosely covered until service.
- Prepare Mango Chili Jam: Combine diced mango, serrano chili, and 3 oz. sugar in med. saucepan over med.-high heat; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add remaining 1 oz. sugar and pectin. Reduce heat to low; continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 4 min. Transfer jam to bowl; cover and refrigerate until service.
- Prepare Cookie Crumble: Combine all ingredients in food processor; pulse until crumbly. Bake at 325°F about 15 min., stirring halfway through baking time, until golden brown. Store covered until service.
- Prepare Coconut Risotto: Heat coconut oil in med. saucepan over med-low heat. Add rice and lightly toast. Begin adding water, a little at a time, while continuing to stir, allowing all the liquid to be absorbed by the rice before adding more. Continue until all the liquid has been added and rice is cooked through, adding additional water if needed. Stir in coconut milk and coconut butter until thoroughly mixed and heated through. Keep warm.
- Per serving: Pour 1 cup Coconut Risotto into a dessert bowl. Swirl one-fourth the sliced mango ribbons on top of the rice. Scatter 1/4 cup Cookie Crumble over dessert. Garnish with thinly sliced kaffir lime leaves and a few shards of Tamarind Glass. Spoon small amounts of Mango Chili Jam on the side.