Mango Coconut Custard Ice Cream
Coconut milk imparts a touch of the exotic in this ice cream. Serve the dessert in a coconut shell for an impressive presentation.
2 cans (13.5-oz. each) Thai coconut milk
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 cup granulated sugar
9 egg yolks
1 1/2 tsp. coconut flavor (extract)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
16 oz. mango puree
Toasted coconut shavings, for garnish
- Combine coconut milk and salt in saucepan over med. heat. Cook until mixture is just below simmer. Cover and set aside.
- Combine sugar and egg yolks in food processor; blend until smooth. With machine running, add hot coconut milk. Return mixture to saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly but does not simmer.
- Remove pan from heat; transfer to bowl. Stir in coconut flavor; set over ice to cool quickly. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Whip cream to soft peaks; fold into chilled custard.
- Transfer mixture to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions until partially frozen. Fold in mango puree until streaked but not blended; freeze until completely firm.
- For service: Scoop ice cream into coconut shells or dessert dishes; garnish with toasted coconut shavings.