In the words of Pastry Chef Frederic Monti, this dessert is inspired by the tropical fruit flavors from the Caribbean Islands. The shape is intended to be the perfect portion for two bites, while still providing complexity in texture and flavor.
150g butter, cold in cubes
150g brown sugar
75g almond flour
75g desiccated coconut
200g cake flour
100g Cacao Barry Blanc Satin White Couverture, 29.2%
20g 5-Star Chef Pastry Select™ Coconut Compound
75g Cacao Barry Mycryo
452g Boiron Guava Puree
3g fresh lime zest
24g PreGel Pink Guava Fortefrutto®
280g heavy cream
140g egg yolks
35g PreGel Textura (Mousse Base – Gelatin Replacement)
67g PreGel Albumissimo (Egg White Base)
550g whipped cream
87g 5-Star Chef Pastry Select™ Coconut Compound
616g Boiron Coconut Puree
176g egg yolks
190g PreGel Textura (Mousse Base – Gelatin Replacement)
467g meringue (from above)
Passion Fruit Gelee "Le Beret"
200g Boiron Passion Fruit Puree
300g Boiron Mango Fruit Puree
100g simple syrup
10g 5-Star Chef Pastry Select™ Passion Fruit Compound
95g PreGel Textura (Mousse Base - Gelatin Replacement)
as needed PreGel Passion Fruit Arabeschi® (Passion Fruit with Seeds)
- Place the first six ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. With the paddle attachment, mix at low speed until loose and crumbly.
- Add melted white chocolate and 5-Star Chef Pastry SelectTM Coconut Compound; mix just until the crumble comes together.
- Crumble by hand on a Silpat® lined sheet pan.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Loosely sprinkle the chilled crumble into small savarin flexi-molds.
- Bake at 160°C/320°F until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and dust lightly with Cacao Barry Mycryo.
- Cool completely and set aside for assembly.
- Combine the Boiron Guava Puree, fresh lime zest, PreGel Pink Guava Fortefrutto® and the heavy cream in a saucepan. Heat to a high simmer.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Temper the hot liquid into the egg yolk mixture; return to the heat and cook to 85°C/180°F; remove from the heat.
- Whisk in PreGel Textura (Mousse Base - Gelatin Replacement).
- Pour into desired mold.
- Blast freeze until completely frozen.
- Place the frozen insert inside the coconut mousse when filling the sphere mold for the dessert.
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and heat until the sugar is dissolved to form a simple syrup.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the PreGel Albumissimo (Egg White Base) with the simple syrup and whisk by hand to dissolve the powder.
- Whip on medium-high speed until the meringue reaches full volume.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks; reserve.
- Combine the Boiron Coconut Puree and the 5-Star Chef Pastry SelectTM Coconut Compound and bring to a high simmer
- Whisk the sugar and egg yolks together.
- Temper the hot puree mixture into the egg yolk mixture; return to the pot.
- Cook like an anglaise to 85°C/185°F; remove from heat.
- Whisk in the PreGel Textura (Mousse Base – Gelatin Replacement) until dissolved.
- Strain through a chinoise.
- Place onto an ice bath and stir occasionally until cool.
- Fold the meringue into the anglaise, followed by the whipped cream.
- Fill molds as needed with the mousse.
- Blast freeze the mousse until frozen solid before removing from the mold. Set aside for assembly.
Passion Fruit Gelee (a.k.a. "Le Beret")
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and whisk together until no lumps remain.
- Heat gently to a simmer.
- Pour into desired mold and refrigerate until set.
- Cut the gelee using a ring cutter and use as needed in final assembly.
- Begin by filling the small depression in the Coconut Crumbles with PreGel Passion Fruit Arabeschi®.
- Remove the frozen Coconut Mousse spheres from the molds and spray with a 50/50 mixture of white chocolate and white cocoa butter.
- Place the sprayed spheres on top of the Coconut Crumbles filled with the PreGel Passion Fruit Arabeschi®.
- Place a "beret" of the Passion Fruit Gelee on top of the sprayed Coconut Mousse sphere.
- Allow the dessert to thaw completely in the refrigerator before service.
- Garnish with tempered white chocolate sticks garnished with crushed, freeze-dried passion fruit pieces.
You may replace 5-Star Chef Pastry Select™ Passion Fruit Compound with PreGel Passion Fruit Fortefrutto®.