According to Tom Sewell, executive chef with Sodexo at Florida Blue, this Italian Burrito is run as an action station. The recipe is taken a riff on the operation’s pasta station. To create the burrito, the chef simply removes the pasta and put the ingredients in a burrito. Guest can select from one of three proteins: chicken, Italian sausage or shrimp. Sauce toppings are hot Parmesan Alfredo or marinara sauce or cold basil pesto or red pepper ranch. Veggie toppings are: diced tomatoes, roasted red peppers, red onions, cucumbers, black olives, artichokes, bacon, braised kale and spinach. Cheese toppings are Parmesan or mozzarella. This recipe is a version of the sausage burrito.
12 grilled flatbreads (recipe follows)
12 3 1/2-oz. portions piadine mix (recipe follows)
4 1/2-cup portions marina sauce (recipe follows)
3 lb. Italian rope sausage
12 oz. Provolone cheese, sliced .5 oz.
9 oz. tomatoes, diced 1/4 in.
Yield: 12 portions
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. dried, crumbled rosemary
1 tbsp. dried oregano
1 tbsp. dried basil leaf
1 tbsp. dried parsley
1 tbsp. granulated garlic
1 tbsp. sesame seeds
12 7-in. pizza dough
12 tbsp. olive oil
Yield: 12 3 1/2-ounce protions
2 oz. olive/vegetable oil blend
1 lb. sliced onions
1 lb. julienned green peppers
4 oz. julienned red peppers
1 lb. sliced mushrooms
1 oz. olive/vegetable oil blend
8 oz. diced 1/2-in. red potatoes, blanched
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil leaf
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
Yield: 4.5 1-cup portions
1 tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. olive oil
2 1/4 tsp. fresh minced garlic
2 1/4 oz. diced 1/2-in. onions
2 cups + 4 tbsp. tomatoes, canned, diced in juice
2 cups + 4 tbsp. tomatoes, canned, crushed
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3 tbsp. chiffonade fresh basil
2 1/4 tsp. fresh chopped parsley
- Prepare grilled flat bread, paidine mix and marina sauce according to recipes.
- Place sausage on sheet pan and roast in 325°F oven. Slice cooled sausages into ¼-inc. pieces.
- Reheat sausages quickly. On warm flatbread, place the following: 3.5 ounces piadine mix, 4 ounces sliced sausage, 1 ounce cheese and .75 ounce diced tomato.
- Wrap bottom of sandwich in 10-by-13 foil and serve with side of marina for dipping.
- Combine salt, pepper, rosemary, oregano, basil, parsley, garlic and sesame seeds.
- Spray thawed dough with pan spray and allow to rise to double size.
- Stretch dough to 8 inches, brush with olive oil, sprinkle each dough with 1 teaspoon spice mix and place on preheated char broiler, panini press, flattop or griddle. Grill for about 2 and a half minutes. Oil and season bottom of flatbread with 1 teaspoon mix, flip and grill second side.
- Heat first oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, peppers and mushrooms. Saute until tender. Remove from heat.
- Add second oil to pan over medium heat. Add potatoes and spices and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until browned.
- Add cooked vegetable mix and blend well. Remove from heat.
- Heat oil in kettle. Saute garlic and onions until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Add basil and parsley and mix well.