Gnocchi with Broccoli, Bacon, Créme Fraîche, Chives and Cheddar
Puffy potato gnocchi pairs with broccoli, sweet onion, bacon and creamy crème fraîche for a satisfying and hearty dish.
11⁄2 lb. Idaho yellow potatoes
4 tbsp. butter, divided
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 oz. flour
2 cups broccoli
Extra virgin olive oil to taste
1⁄2 sweet onion, sliced
3⁄4 cup bacon lardons, crispy, with rendered fat
1⁄2 cup crème fraîche
1 cup smoked cheddar, grated
2 tbsp. chives, chopped
1. In large pot of water, boil potatoes until tender. Drain, peel and transfer to preheated 350°F oven until dry. Press through ricer. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter, and season with salt and freshly ground black
pepper. Add egg, then flour, and mix to incorporate.
2. Roll dough in ½-in. diameter rope, cut and shape gnocchi. Blanch in simmering water until floating and firm; drain and cool completely. Reserve.
3. Coat broccoli with olive oil, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and roast in preheated 400°F oven for 5 minutes, until tender. Reserve.
4. In large ovenproof pan, sweat onions in remaining butter over medium-low heat. Add bacon, broccoli and gnocchi and sauté until heated through. Add crème fraîche and bring to a simmer.
5. Remove from heat, top with cheddar and place under preheated boiler until cheese melts and browns. Plate, garnish with chives and serve.
Recipe by Idaho Potato Commission