Flank Steak Bruschetta
A small plate for bigger appetites: Marinated flank steak and shavings of aged Manchego cheese top slices of grilled ciabatta. A slathering of creamy aji sauce—spiked with garlic, mustard and jalapeños—ties together all the components of this hearty dish.
2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups peeled garlic cloves
2 bunches flat leaf parsley, picked
½ cup fresh thyme leaves, picked
½ cup fresh oregano leaves, picked
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup sherry vinegar
2 tbsp. dried oregano
2 tbsp. grated lemon zest
1 tbsp. chili flakes
24 portions (4 oz. each) flank steak
5 egg yolks
3 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 garlic cloves
2½ tsp. Dijon mustard
3 cups 80/20 olive oil/canola oil blend
1½ cups chopped cilantro
¾ cup chopped green onions
3 cups choffonaded romaine lettuce
2 jalapeños, seeded, stemmed and deveined
Salt and white pepper, to taste
72 slices (1-in. thick) ciabatta
Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
144 thinly shaved slices aged Manchego cheese
1. Prepare Marinated Steak: In blender or food processor, purée all ingredients except steak until a smooth paste forms, adding more olive oil, if necessary. Coat flank steak with marinade and refrigerate for at least 4 hr. or no longer than 12 hr.
2. Prepare Aji Sauce: In food processor, blend egg yolks, lemon juice, garlic and mustard. With motor running, slowly add oil to emulsify. Add cilantro, green onions, lettuce and jalapeños; blend until slightly thinner than mayonnaise, adding water, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. To order, season one 4-oz. steak portion with salt and pepper. Grill to medium rare or desired doneness. Carve steak across the grain into thin slices.
4. Brush 3 slices ciabatta with olive oil; grill on both sides until grill marks form.
5. Spread each ciabatta slice with 1 tbsp. Aji Sauce; top with 2 steak slices and 2 slices cheese. Drizzle with more olive oil, if desired.
Recipe by The Delachaise Chef RJ Tsarov, New Orleans. Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff