Farfalle Veggie “Mac and Cheese” with Carrot Purée
Mac ’n cheese is a kids’ menu staple and a top seller. To raise the health quotient of the classic version, this recipe starts with veggie pasta (there is actually vegetable purée in the pasta itself). Then the sauce gets another healthy boost with the addition of carrot purée.
16 oz. farfalle veggie
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups heavy cream
1½ cups shredded fontina cheese
½ cup grated asiago cheese
3 tbsp. carrot puree
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Preheat oven to 550°F.
2. In large, deep skillet over med. heat, sauté garlic in olive oil until softened and light golden. Add heavy cream and slowly bring to a simmer. Whisk in fontina and asiago cheeses until melted.
3. Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente, about 1 min. shy of recommended cooking time; drain well.
4. Remove half the sauce mixture to blender container. Add carrot puree and process until smooth. Add back to skillet with other half of sauce; season with salt and pepper.
5. Toss drained pasta with sauce. Transfer to baking dish and top with Parmesan cheese. Bake 5 to 10 min.
Recipe by Chef Lorenzo Boni, Barilla America, Bannockburn, Ill. Recipe courtesy of Barilla America