Crispy Tomato Salmon
This is the healthy dish of choice at Illinois State University in Normal. The dish is one of the best-sellars of any item offered at the department's Fresh Bites venue, which serves grilled poultry and seafood, whole grains and fresh produce.
¾ cup canola oil
1⅔ tbsp. + ½ tsp. chopped garlic
1 cup + 3 tbsp. water
2⅔ tbsp. + ¾ tsp. soy sauce
3⅔ tbsp. oyster sauce, no MSG
¼ oz. garlic chili sauce
1 lb. +3 oz. large seeded and diced Roma tomatoes
1⅔ tbsp. + ½ tsp. cornstarch
1⅔ tbsp. + ½ tsp. water
24 4 oz. skinless salmon fillets (thaw half the count)
2½ cups washed, de-stemmed and chopped cilantro
1. Place oil into hot pan, add garlic, cook for 15 seconds.
2. Added diced tomatoes, cook for 30 seconds. Add water, soy sauce, oyster sauce and garlic chili sauce. Bring to a simmer.
3. Combine second water and cornstarch, blend, add to simmering sauce, return to simmer.
4. Reserve the sauce.
1. Place a small amount of vegetable oil on griddle.
2. Place salmon fillets on griddle, skin side up. Cook for 4 minutes, turn over, and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until internal temperature is 145°F.
3. Place on platter, top with 1 oz. of sauce per filet, and chopped cilantro.
Recipe by Illinois State University, Normal, Ill.