Creamy Lobster Bean Chowder
Add a unique depth and richness to a New England classic chock full of Bush’s Best® Cannellini or Great Northern beans, bacons, onion, celery and lobster in a cream soup base.
Serving Size: 1 CUP
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
1-1/2 cups - Bacon, cut (1/2 x 1/2 in)
1/3 cups - Flour, all-purpose
3 cups - Onions, sweet, diced
2 cups - Celery, diced
2 qt - Fish or chicken stock, heated
3 cups - Bush’s Cannellini or Great Northern Beans, drained
1-1/2 cups - Lobster meat, cooked, diced (1/2 x 1/2 in)*
1 cup - Roasted red pepper, diced
1-1/2 cups - Heavy cream or half and half
1 tsp - TABASCO®
1/3 cup - Fresh herb mixture, finely chopped (thyme, chives, parsley)
Oyster crackers or croutons, optional - As needed
*Shrimp or crawfish may be substituted for lobster meat.
1. Cook bacon over medium-high heat. Drain off all but 3 Tbsp bacon fat.
2. Add onions to bacon fat. Sauté 2 minutes.
3. Stir in celery and flour. Continue to cook 2–3 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Slowly pour in broth, whisking constantly until incorporated. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer soup 15 minutes, stirring often.
5. Add beans, lobster and peppers. Continue simmering for about 5 minutes.
6. Stir in cream and TA BASCO® and adjust seasoning. Finish soup with fresh herbs. Keep warm.
Serving suggestion: Ladle a healthy 1 cup serving of chowder into hot bowl or soup plate. Top with oyster crackers if desired.