Crab Melt Sandwiches
“Melts” are an American invention—from simple grilled cheese sandwiches to classic luncheonette tuna melts. Avocados and sourdough bread give these sandwiches a distinct California twist, and snowy crabmeat carries out the Pacific theme.
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
Salt and black pepper
8 tbsp. butter
12 large slices sourdough bread
6 roasted red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into fourths
42 oz. fresh crabmeat
12 slices (1/2 oz. each) white cheddar cheese
6 fresh California avocados, sliced
- In small bowl, mix mayonnaise and 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread butter on one side of each bread slice and place in large saute pan or baking sheet, butter-side down. Place pan in oven for about 1 min.
- Meanwhile, heat another sauté pan over med. heat. Add roasted peppers and crabmeat; heat for 1 min.
- Take bread slices from oven; spread 1 tbsp. aioli on each. Top with 2 pieces roasted pepper; divide crabmeat equally among slices. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top each sandwich with 1 slice cheddar cheese. Return pan to oven for 2 min. to melt cheese.
- For service, cut each sandwich diagonally in half. Top each half with 3 slices avocado and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.