Cornmeal-Crusted Fish with Guacasalsa
This recipe features white fish fillets covered in cornmeal and fried, served atop a bed of wilted spinach and yellow rice, all topped with a tomatillo-avocado salsa.
1⁄2 cup chopped sweet onion
2 tsp. chopped garlic
4 avocados, peeled and coarsely chopped
6 med. tomatillos, husked and coarsely chopped
1 cup cilantro leaves
2 coarsely chopped jalapeños
4 tsp. fresh lime juice
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
12 firm white fish fillets, such as catfish or red snapper
2 large eggs
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1⁄2-1 tsp. ground red pepper
Vegetable oil, as needed
Wilted Spinich (recipe follows)
Yellow Rice (recipe follows)
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 tsp. ground cumin
1⁄2 tsp. salt
1 lb. baby spinach leaves
41⁄2 cups water
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 tsp. salt
1⁄2 tsp. black pepper
2 cups long-grain white rice
1. Bring 1 cup water to boil. Add onion and garlic; remove from heat and let stand 5 min. Drain, reserving liquid.
2. In food processor, combine drained onion mixture with avocados, tomatillos, cilantro, jalapeños, lime juice, 1-1-1⁄2 tsp. salt, and 1⁄2 tsp. black pepper. Pulse until slightly chunky, adding reserved onion liquid as needed to thin salsa. Place in bowl; cover and refrigerate.
3. In med.-sized bowl, whisk eggs and 1⁄3 cup salsa. In shallow bowl, combine cornmeal, 1 tsp. salt, red pepper, and 1⁄2 tsp. black pepper. Dip fillets in egg mixture, then in cornmeal to coat; place on racks. Cover; refrigerate.
4. At service: In skillet over med.-high heat, heat 1⁄4 in. oil. Reduce heat to med.; add fillets and cook, turning once, until golden and cooked through, about 5 min. per side.
5. To serve: Spread wilted spinach on plate; top with rice and fillet. Spoon salsa on fish.
In large skillet over med. heat, heat oil. Add cumin and salt; cook, stirring, 3 min. At serving time, stir in spinach; turn into bowl and stir a few more times.
In med. saucepan, combine water, turmeric, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 15 min.