Citrus Grilled Shrimp Salad
This shrimp salad features a orange vinagrette dressing made with Dijon mustard, orange juice, garlic and shallots.
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup chili-infused extra-virgin olive oil
1 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
20 extra-large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left on
4 oz. mixed spring lettuce
2 oranges, skin, pith, membranes removed
2 grapefruits, skin, pith, membranes removed
1 small red onion, sliced
Orange Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Yield: about 1 cup
1 clove garlic
2 shallots, finely minced
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1. For shrimp marinade, combine crushed garlic, chili olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Add shrimp, place in refrigerator for ½ hour.
2. Grill shrimp on hot grill just until opaque, about 2 mins. per side.
3. Mix lettuce, citrus segments and onion in large bowl. Toss with just enough Orange Vinaigrette (recipe follows) to lightly coat.
4. Divide among 4 salad plates. Top each with 5 shrimp.
For Orange Vinaigrette:
1. Mash garlic in small bowl. Add shallots and mustard.
2. Whisk in orange juice. Then slowly whisk in olive oil.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Adjust for acidity.
Recipe by Jaime Palenque, Banner Thunderbird Medical Center, Glendale, Ariz.