This innovative noodle salad features flank steak, soy sauce, fresh ginger, diced apples and sliced shallots.
1⁄4 cup + 6 tbsp. fish sauce, divided
8 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
11⁄2 lb. flank steak, lightly scored
6 tbsp. water
1⁄2 cup lime juice
1⁄2 cup sliced shallots
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
8 oz. dried thin rice noodles (vermicelli)
6 oz. Dole Butter Bliss or other Dole Salad Blend
2 cups Dole Chef-Ready Cuts Diced Apples or Dole Fresh Frozen Sliced Apples, partially thawed
1⁄2 to 1 cup coarsely chopped mint
1. Combine ¼ cup fish sauce, 2 tablespoons sugar, soy sauce, ginger and garlic in gallon-size resealable plastic bag. Add flank steak; seal. Marinate in refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.
2. Grill or broil steak to desired doneness. Discard marinade. Cover steak loosely with aluminum foil and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Slice steak thinly across grain. Set aside.
3. Stir together remaining 6 tablespoons fish sauce, 6 tablespoons sugar, water, lime juice, shallots and crushed red pepper in medium bowl until sugar dissolves.
4. Soak rice noodles in bowl of hot water for 15 to 20 minutes; drain. Boil 2 quarts of water in large saucepot. Add soaked noodles to water and cook for 1 minute. Rinse and drain. Return to bowl and toss with ½ cup lime-shallot mixture.
5. Combine salad blend, diced apples and mint in large bowl. Toss with ½ cup lime-shallot mixture. Arrange noodles on large serving platter. Mound salad mixture on top. Arrange steak slices on salad. Sprinkle with chopped cashews and serve with remaining lime-shallot mixture, if desired.
Recipe by Dole Foodservice