Chilled Smoked Tomato-Jalapeno Soup
A fiery take on tomato soup begins with fresh, skillet smoked tomatoes, onions, leeks, coriander, garlic, and bay leaves. Pureed and served chilled with a drizzle of Jalapeño Crema, made with MINOR'S® Fire Roasted Jalapeño Flavor Concentrate, and fresh basil.
28 oz Tomatoes, Roma, peeled
4 oz Olive oil
9.5 oz Onions, Spanish, diced
1 tsp Coriander leaf
1/2 oz Garlic
1 ea Bay leaf
6 oz Water
3/4 tsp Minor's® Gluten Free Chicken Base made with Natural Ingredients (6x1lb)
1 oz Minor's® Fire Roasted Jalapeno Flavor Concentrate Gluten Free (6x13.6oz)
1/2 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Cumin, ground
2 oz Butter, cold, cubed
- Use a smoker to lightly smoke the tomatoes. Four to five minutes of smoking will give the tomatoes enough flavor. DO NOT over smoke the tomatoes or their natural flavor will be masked. Dice and reserve tomatoes.
- In a heavy bottomed soup pot, heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add the onions and sweat for 3-5 minutes. Add the coriander, garlic, and bay leaf. Continue to sweat for 3 minutes.
- Combine the water and the Chicken Base and add it to the pot along with the tomatoes, Fire Roasted Jalapeño Flavor Concentrate, sugar, and cumin. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use a high power blender to puree the soup. If no high power blender is available, the soup should be strained through a large hole strainer after blending.
- Use a whisk to emulsify the butter in the soup. Season to taste.
Garnish with Jalapeno Crema and fresh herbs. Pair with cucumber salad for a snack size portion.