Northern Kentucky University features this curry dish at its dining location called Abode ~ Home is Where the Heart is. Abode offers a fresh and modern twist on favorite homestyle dishes. The dining staff says students favor this curry recipe because of its presentation and flavor.
2 3⁄4 lb. fresh celery, 1/4-in. dice
2 3⁄4 lb. fresh onions, 1/4-in. dice
50 3-oz. chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
2 cups apple juice
8 oz. butter, salted
1⁄2 cup curry powder
2 tsp. salt
1 1⁄2 lb. all-purpose flour
2 3⁄4 oz. chicken base
3⁄4 gallon water
1 qt. skim milk
1 1⁄2 lb. chutney
- Thoroughly wash produce. Dice celery and onions.
- Coat steam table pans with nonstick spray. Place chicken in pans and brush evenly with apple juice. Bake in oven at 400°F for 40 to 50 minutes or convection oven at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Melt butter in kettle. Add curry and vegetables; cook until vegetables are tender. Add salt and flour. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Dissolve base in water to make stock. Heat milk. Stir in hot milk and stock gradually. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add chutney and heat until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Portion 3-ounce chicken breast on each serving dish. Ladle 3-ounces curry sauce over each breast. Hold warm for service.
- Garnish with sliced apple chunks.