Camembert Brownbread Soufflé with Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
A dessert meant to impress, and it tastes good too. Worth the effort because this is truly delicious. The strawberry-rhubarb sauce has a nice balance of sweet and tangy.
Unsalted butter, as needed
Confectioner’s sugar, as needed
8 oz. bread flour
8 oz. unsalted butter
1 qt. milk
10 eggs, separated
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups camembert cheese, cubed
1 1⁄2 cups brown bread, cubed
3 cups rhubarb, diced
3 tbsp. butter
1⁄2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 cups strawberries, sliced
1. Coat the inside of 20 4-oz. ramekins with melted butter, then confectioner’s sugar.
2. In a bowl, mix together flour and butter to form a paste.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat, scald milk. Whisk in flour-butter mixture and cook until thick, about 1 min. Remove pan from heat and stir another min. Allow to cool to room temperature.
4. When cool, add egg yolks, vanilla and 3 oz. confectioner’s sugar.
5. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until thick and foamy. Gradually add 7 oz. confectioner’s sugar and beat until stiff, but not dry. In thirds, gently fold egg whites into the soufflé base. Add cheese and brown bread and pipe into ramekins. Bake 35-40 min. at 400° F until done.
6. Meanwhile, In a skillet over medium heat, sauté rhubarb in butter until tender. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Add cinnamon and strawberries and toss gently. Reserve warm.
7. Dust soufflés with sugar and serve with warm rhubarb compote.