This upscale deli salad features blue potatoes, flat iron steak, Vidalia onions, garlic and spinach.
6 lb. small blue potatoes
Olive oil as needed
6 lb. flat iron steak, sliced into 4-oz. portions
Blackening spice as needed
12 cups sliced Vidalia onions
1⁄2 cup chopped garlic
Salt and pepper as needed
9 lb. spinach, stemmed, washed
11⁄2 lb. crumbled blue cheese
1. Simmer potatoes in boiling water until tender; drain and cool.
2. Cut potatoes in half. Brush cut sides with oil. Grill over gas or
charcoal until grill marks form.
3. For each serving: Coat one 4-ounce portion of steak with blackening spice. In large sauté pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil; sear steak on both sides to desired doneness. Remove steak from pan and let rest. Wipe out pan; heat 2 teaspoons oil. Add ½ cup onions and 1 teaspoon garlic; season with salt and pepper. Sauté until soft but not browned.
4. Add 6 ounces (about 8 cups) spinach and sauté just until spinach starts to wilt. Mound spinach on plate.
5. Carve steak into thin slices; arrange on top of spinach. Top with 6 potato halves; sprinkle with 1 ounce blue cheese. Serve with blue cheese dressing on the side, if desired.
Recipe by United State Potato Board