Baked Creamy White Cheddar Macaroni & Cheese
This recipe is from Camp Too Sweet, a camp that provides a summer program for children and young adults ages 8 to 17, who have Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. The dish features both white and traditional cheddar cheese to make it extra creamy.
1 ½ lb. uncooked macaroni
¾ cup clarified butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ gallon whole milk
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
6 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
1 cup half and half
1 ½ cups mild cheddar cheese
1. In 6-quart pot add macaroni to boiling water and cook for 10 minutes until al dente. Drain and rinse in colander until ready to use.
2. In 6-quart pot combine clarified butter and flour and stir until well blended; continue stirring for 5 minutes and then slowly add ½ gallon of whole milk.
3. Add dry mustard, onion powder, and kosher salt. Then continue stirring until sauce thickens.
4. Add white cheddar cheese and continue to stir until smooth. Beat eggs with cup of half and half.
5. Combine pasta with cheese sauce, egg mixture and mild cheddar in large mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
6. Pour into vegetable sprayed baking dish/pan and bake in pre-heated 350°F oven for 30 minutes.