Spicy yet smooth, with a combination of flavors that is sure to please. The presentation is impressive too.
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp. minced red chiles
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1 tsp. salt
1⁄4 cup lime juice
1⁄4 cup orange juice
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 lb. flank or skirt steak
3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
1⁄3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 tbsp. melted butter, divided
1⁄2 tsp. salt
1⁄2 to 3⁄4 cup boiling water
2⁄3 cup fresh corn kernels
2 California avocados (1 lb.), peeled and sliced
1 red bell pepper, halved and seeded
1 yellow bell pepper, halved and seeded
1 California avocado, peeled
1⁄2 cup sour cream
1 tbsp. lime juice
1⁄4 tsp. cayenne
1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a shallow container. Reserve 1⁄4 cup marinade and add steak to container. Marinate at least 1 hr.
2. Process cornmeal in a blender until finely ground. Transfer to large bowl and stir in cheese, 2 tbsp. melted butter, and salt. Add enough boiling water to make a very thick batter; stir in corn.
3. Brush griddle with remaining butter and heat until medium-hot. For each arepa, drop about 1 tbsp. batter onto hot griddle; cook until golden brown, about 2 min.
4. Drain steak and grill to desired doneness.
5. Brush avocado slices and bell pepper halves with reserved marinade and grill, turning once, until lightly browned.
6. Cut whole avocado into chunks and blend with sour cream, lime juice, and cayenne in blender until smooth.
7. For service, slice steak and place a few pieces on each arepa. Cut bell pepper into strips and arrange over steak; top with grilled avocado slices and a dollop of avocado cream.