Seminole Veggie Burger
Chef Travis Johnson
Executive Culinary Director
Sodexo/Florida State University Seminole Dining
Instead of sourcing a ready-made veggie burger, chef Johnson created a plant-based burger from scratch to serve at FSU’s JStreet Grill, one of four micro-restaurants within the college’s 1851 dining venue. Cooked grains and pulses were already on the menu in wraps, bowls and at the salad bar, so he combined a cooked sorghum-rice blend with lentils and garbanzos for the burger’s base. A salsa made from local tomatoes and chunks of avocado tops the cooked patty.
Garnet and gold avocado salsa
2 avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup red and yellow teardrop tomatoes, quartered
1 garlic clove, minced
½ lime, juiced
¼ cup chopped cilantro
2 tbsp. orange juice
Salt and pepper, taste
4 tbsp. canola/olive oil blend. divided
¼ cup chopped sweet onion
¼ cup chopped carrot
¼ cup chopped celery
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups cooked green and black lentil/split garbanzo mix
2 cups spinach, stemmed
¼ cup fresh parsley springs
½ lime, juiced
Pinch kosher salt
Pinch ground black pepper
1 shallot, minced
½ tsp. paprika
½ cup panko bread crumbs
½ cup cooked oat/sorghum/wild rice mix
4 brioche buns, lightly toasted
1. Prepare salsa: In medium bowl, combine avocados and remaining salsa ingredients; set aside at room temperature.
2. Prepare burger patties: In saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic; saute until tender. Cool and set aside.
3. In food processor combine cooked onion mixture, cooked lentil mixture, spinach, parsley, lime juice, salt, pepper, shallots, paprika and remaining tablespoon oil. Process to blend.
4. In mixing bowl combine lentil mixture with panko and cooked sorghum blend. Form mixture into four patties.
5. Into hot skillet, measure 2 tablespoons oil blend. Add burger patties; cook on both sides until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165 F. (Finish in oven, if necessary.)
6. To serve, place cooked patties on bottom of buns; top with 2 ounces salsa, ¼ ounce arugula and bun tops.
Photo courtesy of Sodexo