These popular Indian side dishes feature jalapeño peppers, diced potatoes, green cabbage and spinach topped with a tomato curry sauce.
21⁄4 qt. garbanzo flour
1⁄4 cup ground cumin
3 tbsp. salt
6 jalapeño peppers, minced
1 cup oil
1 qt. vegetable stock
3 qts. 1⁄4-in. diced potatoes, blanched
1 gal. green cabbage, thinly sliced
1 qt. baby spinach, roughly chopped
2 qts. onion, sliced 1⁄4-in.
Tomato Curry Sauce:
Yield: 3 cups
1 tbsp. oil
1 cup onion, diced
1 tsp. garlic, chopped
1 tsp. ginger, minced
1 oz. mild chili peppers, diced
1 tsp. garam masala
1⁄8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1⁄8 tsp. ground coriander
1⁄8 tsp. ground cumin
1⁄8 tsp. turmeric
1⁄8 tsp. cayenne
3 cups fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
1. Mix together garbanzo flour, cumin, salt and jalapeños.
2. Slowly whisk in oil and vegetable stock until smooth batter is achieved.
3. Allow batter to rest overnight.
4. Add potatoes, cabbage, spinach and onion, and mix together.
5. Scoop 2-oz. portions, using a #20 scoop, of batter into clean, hot deep-fat fryer and cook until golden brown and cooked through.
6. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with Tomato Curry Sauce.
For Tomato Curry Sauce:
1. In thick-bottomed pot, heat oil. Add onions and sauté until golden brown.
2. Add garlic, ginger, chile peppers and spices. Cook for 1 minute.
3. Add fire-roasted tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes,
4. Purée sauce in blender until smooth.
5. Taste and correct seasonings, if required.
Recipe by University of Colorado, Boulder, Colo.