Southwestern Sausage, Egg and Cheese Stuffed Peppers
Replace your taco bar with these breakfast stuffed peppers. Filled with sausage, egg and cheese, this twist on stuffed peppers is a great way to switch up your weekly specials.
6 poblano peppers*
4 large eggs
4 large egg whites
½ tsp. salt (optional)
8 oz. Jones Precooked Golden Brown Sausage Links cut into ½-in. pieces
½ cup prepared salsa
¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Preheat broiler. Place whole peppers on foil-lined baking sheet. Broil peppers three to four inches from heat source, for 15 minutes, or until skin of peppers is evenly blackened, turning as needed.
- Wrap peppers in foil from pan and let stand 10 minutes. Peel off and discard blackened skin from peppers. Cut slit in one side of each pepper; discard seeds and place peppers, split sides up, in shallow baking dish.
- Cook mixture in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until eggs are soft-set, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, beat together eggs, egg whites and salt. Stir in sausage.
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Carefully fill peppers with sausage mixture; spoon salsa over stuffed peppers.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until heated through.
- Sprinkle cheese over peppers and continue baking until cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Recipe by Jones Dairy Farm
*If poblano peppers are not available, substitute three large red, yellow or green bell peppers, cut in half and seeded. Place cut sides down and broil until skin is evenly blackened. Proceed with recipe directions.