Potato-Caramelized Onion Empanadas
These golden pockets of flaky pastry dough are filled with a garlicky mix of potatoes, caramelized onions and cheese. Easy to pick up and eat they make a great appetizer.
18 oz. flaky pastry dough
6 tbsp. olive oil
4 large onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 lb. potatoes, par-boiled, cubed
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 cups Jack cheese, shredded
2 tbsp. Mexican oregano, crumbled
2 cups tomatillo salsa
2 cups pico de gallo
1. Prepare pastry, cover, and set aside. Heat oil in large skillet. Caramelize onions over low heat. Add potatoes and garlic and sauté an additional 5 min., until potatoes are lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper, set aside and cool.
2. In large bowl, combine potato mixture with cheese and oregano.
3. On a cool surface, roll pastry out into a rectangle 1⁄8-in. thick. With a cookie cutter, cut out 5-in. circles. Repeat with remaining pastry.
4. Place circle of dough on work surface. Place 2 heaping tbsp. of filling in center and brush edges with egg white. Bring edges up over filling, and pleat and seal firmly. Repeat with remaining dough.
5. Bake empanadas at 350° F. until golden, approx. 20 min. Serve with tomatillo salsa and pico de gallo.