A great dish to satisfy gourmet taste buds. Tender veal sweetbreads are enclosed in crisp bacon and are beautifully plated on a bed of baby lentils.
1 pair veal sweetbreads
2 wide bacon strips
1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
1⁄2 cup cooked tiny green lentils
Crisp-fried carrot curls, and thyme sprigs for garnish
1. Soak sweetbreads in cool, acidulated water for 3-4 hr.; remove outer membranes.
2. Blanch sweetbreads; dust with flour and wrap in a bacon strip.
3. Heat a little oil in a small sauté pan. Sauté sweetbreads until golden and cooked.
4. Swirl balsamic vinegar and thyme into drippings in pan; cook until reduced and slightly syrupy.
5. For service, top lentils with sweetbreads and drizzle with balsamic reduction. Surround with radicchio; garnish with carrot curls and thyme.