Granola, Greenville County Schools
This granola recipe from Greenville County Schools in South Carolina was developed by a high school student and Chef Ron Jones. The student had been “kind of waging a war on us,” says Eileen Staples, director of food and nutrition services. To get the student to buy into the foodservice program, Jones invited him to the kitchen to work on creating a recipe that he would like to eat. The granola is used in a yogurt parfait that is offered every day for breakfast.
2 ½ lb. oatmeal
⅓ cup cinnamon
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
1 cup honey
1 cup maple syrup
2 cups brown sugar
⅓ cup vanilla extract
6 oz. raisins
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Combine oatmeal and cinnamon in mixer and blend on low speed.
3. Add the rest of ingredients except raisins and continue to mix until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
4. Divide mixture evenly between 18-by-26-by-1-inch pans. Bake for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from oven, stir and continue baking for 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven. Allow to cool and mix in raisins. Note: May be stored for future use in airtight containers.