Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
Chef-owner Matt Fish
Melt Bar & Grilled
Crispy battered chicken and a layering of vegetables—mashed potatoes, corn puree and spinach—turn a traditional grilled cheese sandwich into a full-blown meal. Founder Matt Fish and his team have expanded Melt Bar & Grill to 13 locations in Ohio, including outlets in Cedar Point amusement park and Progressive Field, the ballpark where the Cleveland Indians play.
2 slices bread, toasted
4 slices cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. minced garlic
8-12 oz. spinach
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup garlic and chive mashed potatoes
4 oz. sweet corn puree
1 chicken breast, breaded and fried crispy
1. Layer cheddar cheese, dividing between toasted bread slices.
2. In saute pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add garlic; saute 30 seconds. Add spinach; saute 1 minute until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Spray preheated flattop or griddle with nonstick cooking spray. Add mashed potato portion and smash flat with a spatula. Cook mashed potatoes on both sides until golden brown.
4. To build sandwich, divide corn puree evenly between toasted bread slices. Add mashed potato portion to one bread slice; top with chicken. Add garlic spinach mixture to second bread slice.
5. Place both bread slices, open-face up, on small sheet tray. Run under salamander for 45 seconds or until cheese is completely melted. Remove from tray and close sandwich, spinach-side up. Cut in half to serve.
Photo courtesy of Melt Bar & Grilled