Walnut Apple Crack with Honey Lemon Crema
Chef Tamra Scroggins
Apples are abundant in winter, and chef Tamra Scroggins of Daily Grill makes the most of the fruit in this craveable dessert—so irresistible, she calls it “crack.” Flaky puff pastry is filled with an apple-walnut mixture and caramel, then baked and drizzled with a lemon crema to serve.
Walnut apple crack
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
6 tbsp. butter
2 large green apples, peeled, seeded and quartered
¼ cup honey
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup brandy
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup Mexican crema
1 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1. For crack: Preheat oven to 400 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Unfold pastry and cut into 6 equal pieces. Place on baking sheet; bake 20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, slice apples 1/8-in. thick, starting at shorter end to make small slices. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add apples; cook 5 minutes. Add honey brown sugar, brandy, lemon juice and cinnamon. Cook, stirring, 10 minutes longer or until apples are soft and sauce is thick and caramel-like (it will thicken more as it cools). Stir in walnuts.
4. In small bowl, stir together crema, honey and lemon zest until blended.
5. To serve, spoon apple mixture between puff pastry layers; spoon crema and caramel on each plate and drizzle with more crema.
Photograph courtesy of California Walnuts