Chef Alfred DeMartini
Maimonides Medical Center
New York City
Stuffed baked potatoes get an extra helping of vegetables in this recipe. A small amount of cooked potato is scooped out and a spoonful of goat cheese is placed in the cavity, then topped with roasted cherry tomatoes and sauteed eggplant cubes.
12 medium russet potatoes
1/2 cup canola oil
1 pt. cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
1 lb. firm goat cheese
3 to 4 fresh mint leaves
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Rub potatoes with canola oil; pierce each several times with a fork.
2. Place potatoes on oven rack in middle of oven; bake 45 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make a slit in bottom of each cherry tomato; toss with just enough olive oil to coat. Place tomatoes on baking sheet; set on rack in oven beneath potatoes. Bake 20 minutes or until tomatoes are golden and skin pops.
4. Peel off skin from tomatoes and place tomatoes in mixing bowl with paddle attachment. Add goat cheese and mint; whip until all ingredients are well blended.
5. Toss eggplant with salt and pepper to taste. Heat remaining olive oil in large skillet. Add eggplant; saute until tender; set aside.
6. Remove potatoes from oven when done; split each in half and scoop out a small amount of cooked flesh.
7. Place a spoonful of goat cheese mixture in cavity and top with sauteed eggplant. Broil or place under salamander until eggplant crisps. Serve hot.
Photo courtesy of Idaho Potato Commission