Three Way Avo Tacos
Chef Jeffrey Meyer
Macaroni Grill & Sullivan’s Steakhouse
Every menu needs a different twist on tacos from time to time, and Cinco de Mayo is the perfect day to try one. Chef Jeffrey Meyer created these plant-based tacos with his daughter, Madison, and the different components create many layers of flavor and texture. Some of the steps can be done ahead to ease execution.
48 corn tortillas, 6-in. size
Black Bean Mash (recipe follows)
Pickled California Avocado Slices (recipe follows)
Lime Crema Sauce (recipe follows)
Lime Crema Slaw (recipe follows)
Panko-coated fried avocado slices
48 grape tomatoes, sliced ⅛” thick on the bias
24 jalapeno peppers, sliced 1/16” thick on the bias
3 limes, each cut into 8 wedges
Black Bean Mash
3 cups (18 oz.) canned black beans, drained (reserve ½ cup + 2 Tbsp. liquid)
1½ tsp. garlic powder
1½ tsp. ground cumin
1½ tsp. ancho chili powder
1tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
Pickled California Avocado
1 cup (8 oz.) white wine vinegar
2 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
2 tbsp. Aleppo pepper
4 ripe but firm avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into 12 slices
1 jalapeno pepper, sliced thin on bias
2 garlic cloves
Lime Crema Sauce
1½ cups (12 oz.) vegan mayonnaise
¾ cup (6 oz.) lime juice, freshly squeezed
2 tbsp. grated lime zest
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
Lime Crema Slaw
8 cups (12 oz.) Napa cabbage, shredded
2 cups (12 oz.) mango, diced
2 cups (12 oz.) ripe avocado, diced
3 cups (12 oz.) orange bell pepper, julienned
1½ cups (12 oz.) Lime Crema Sauce
1½ tsp. kosher salt
1½ tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- For Black Bean Mash, combine beans and reserved liquid from can. Add remaining ingredients and mash to a smooth consistency. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- For pickled avocado slices,Combine white wine vinegar, salt, sugar and Aleppo pepper in a saucepan. Bring to a boil to dissolve salt and sugar. Let cool to room temperature.
- Place avocado slices in a deep bowl. Add jalapeno slices and whole garlic cloves. Pour cooled pickling liquid over avocado slices. Cover bowl tightly and gently rotate to distribute seasoning. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- For Lime Crema Sauce, stir all ingredients together in a mixing bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- For Lime Crema Slaw, combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl with Lime Crema Sauce. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- For each serving, place 4 corn tortillas on a hot flat top/griddle and char lightly. On serving plate, double stack tortillas forming two stacks. Evenly spread 2 tablespoons black bean mash on each of the two top-facing tortillas, leaving a ½-inch border.
- Place ⅓ cup Lime Crema Slaw on top of Black Bean Mash. Then top each with 2 fried avocado slices and 2 pickled avocado slices. Drizzle ½ teaspoon Lime Crema Sauce on each taco in a zigzag pattern. Place one grape tomato (sliced) on top of each.
- Garnish plate with 2 slices fresh jalapeno, 2 lime wedges, and 1 pickled jalapeno slice from Pickled California Avocados.
Photo courtesy of California Avocado Commission