Source: University of Oregon Eugene, Ore.
Students at the University of Oregon gravitate towards the campus’ sushi options because of the fresh ingredients, says Tom Driscoll, food service director. “The spinach roll was made especially for vegetarian and vegan students to enjoy a different sushi than the more typical [seafood],” he says. “All of the specials are created with healthy ingredients and passion that shows in the finished product.”
6 – 8 oz. cooked sushi rice
1/4 cup vinegar mixture (recipe follows)
3 oz. shredded cucumber
3 oz. cooked, shredded carrots
1/2 lb. cooked spinach
1 green onion
1 tsp. garlic
1 sheet nori
Yield: 1 gallon
1 gal. rice vinegar
5 lb. sugar
2.2 lb. kosher salt
- Combine the vinegar, sugar and salt in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Drizzle a quarter of the vinegar mixture over a wooden spoon or spatula onto the rice. Fold the rice gently with the spoon to cool it and break up any clumps; be careful not to smash the grains. Fold in the remaining vinegar mixture and let the rice sit 5 minutes.
- Finely dice green onion and garlic.
- Boil water. Blanch the spinach.
- In a bowl of cool water, drop the spinach for only a few seconds and remove. Change the cold water, and repeat this step three times.
- Season spinach with salt, garlic and green onion.
- Peel the cucumber and slice into matchsticks.
- Peel and julienne the carrots, sauté in oil for 2 to 3 minutes with a pinch of salt. Set aside to cool.
- Cover a bamboo sushi mat with plastic wrap. Place a nori sheet rough side up on the mat. Moisten your hands and scoop a handful of rice, slightly larger than a lemon, onto the nori. Press the rice to spread it evenly up to the edges of the nori, moistening your fingers as you go.
- Add the filling. Arrange a few pieces each of cucumber, and carrot in a tight pile in the lower third of the sheet.
- Roll the sushi mat, tucking in the vegetables as you go. Remove the mat from under the roll and place it on top. Press the roll into a compact log, using the mat.
- Cut the sushi roll into 8 pieces. Place the spinach on top of the sushi pieces. Serve with pickled ginger, soy sauce and wasabi.
- Heat vinegar, salt and sugar over medium heat, stirring until all sugar and salt is dissolved.