Source: Chef Tom Meyer, Clyde's Restaurant Group; The National Turkey Federation
Chef Tom Meyer
Clyde’s Restaurant Group
National Turkey Federation
Ground turkey makes for a lower-fat burger that gets high marks for flavor when seasoned and sauced Thai-style. The veggie slaw topping the burger adds both color and crunch.
Rice Wine Vinaigrette:
2/3 cup honey
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 2/3 cups olive oil
1/3 cup sesame oil
1 1/3 cups rice wine vinegar
2 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. peeled and minced fresh ginger
Cucumber, Carrot and Red Pepper Slaw:
10 med. cucumbers, peeled, seeded and julienned
3 med. or large carrots, peeled and julienned
3 large red bell peppers, seeded and julienned
8 scallions, diced
3 cups rice wine vinaigrette (recipe above)
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 80-oz. tub creamy peanut butter
1 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
Hot pepper sauce, to taste
Water, as needed (to adjust thickness)
Spicy Thai Turkey Burgers:
20 lb. ground turkey
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
4 bunches scallions, chopped
2 bunches fresh basil, chopped
20 oz. bottled sweet chile sauce
4 cups panko crumbs
1 cup blended olive oil
1 cup Thai green curry paste
44 hamburger buns, split and toasted
Sweet chile sauce (bottled), as needed
Fresh fruit, as needed, for garnish
- Prepare Rice Wine Vinaigrette: In bowl, blend all ingredients with electric mixer; set aside.
- Prepare Slaw: In large bowl, combine cucumbers, carrots, red peppers, scallions, salt and pepper. Add enough rice wine vinaigrette to coat mixture. Cover, chill and hold for service.
- Prepare Peanut Sauce: In large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Cover and hold for service.
- Prepare Spicy Thai Turkey Burgers: In tub, mix together all ingredients. Form into 8-oz. patties. Cover, chill and hold for service.
- For service: Grill turkey patties about 5 in. from heat. Cook to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Per order, place one cooked patty in toasted bun and top with slaw. Serve with sides of peanut sauce, chile sauce and fresh fruit garnish.