Source: Lebanon Valley College, Annville, Pa.
A healthy revision to the Texas Veggie Griller Sandwich featured on Lebanon Valley College’s Fusion Street Food Truck, the Skinny Stacker was created in response to student concerns about the sodium and saturated fat levels of the original version, shares Bill Allman, general manager with Metz Culinary Management at Lebanon. Popular among the vegan and gluten-free student crowd, Executive Chef John Hopewell of Metz “switched out a few of the ingredient items for healthier alternatives,” Allman explains. Such as “mesclun mix for iceberg lettuce, raspberry vinaigrette for avocado mayo and gluten-free flour for regular flour. [Chef John] added fresh mango and plum tomato, eliminated the cheese and in an innovative twist, substituted plantain for the bread. The new sandwich decreased calories 30%, saturated fat 83%, sodium 65% and cholesterol 100%,” Allman says. “From a nutritional standpoint, Chef John hit a home run.”
1/2 portobello mushroom
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt to taste
Ground pepper to taste
1/2 oz. red onion, sliced very thin
1 tsp. gluten-free flour
1 oz. spring lettuce mix
1/2 tsp. light raspberry vinaigrette
2 oz. sliced plum tomatoes
1 oz. sliced fresh mango
1 oz. fire-roasted red pepper
2 oz. sliced cucumber
- Brush portobello mushroom with olive oil and grill on char broiler for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, flipping every couple of minutes. Season with kosher salt and ground pepper.
- Toss sliced onion in flour with pinch of kosher salt and ground pepper. Flash-fry in fryer, remove and blot with paper towel.
- Cut plantain in half lengthwise and pan-fry. When tender, remove from oil and press into two flat circles about 4 inches in diameter. Return to pan and fry until crispy and golden brown. Remove and place on sheet tray. Season with kosher salt and ground pepper. Let cool to room temperature.
- Toss spring mix in raspberry vinaigrette and set aside.
- Layer one pan-fried plantain with slices of plum tomato and mango, roasted red pepper, fried onion, grilled mushroom, cucumber and spring mix. Top with another pan-fried plantain and serve.