Source: University of Maryland Green Tidings Food Truck
This soup recipe is a great menu option for food trucks and dining halls because it’s easy to make and filled with flavor. Plus, it pairs well with housemade beignets.
5 lb. fresh tomatoes, quartered
Salt and white pepper to taste
1 oz. extra-virgin olive oil
3 oz. basil, sachet
1 oz. thyme, sachet
6 yellow onions, chopped
2 fennel bulbs, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 oz. tomato paste
2 oz. granulated sugar
2 qt. water
1 qt. heavy cream
Yield: 30 portions
2 lb. all-purpose flour
5 oz. sugar
2 oz. baking powder
24 oz. milk
- Combine tomatoes, salt, pepper and olive oil on sheet pan. Roast at 375°F until tomatoes are golden brown.
- Combine basil and thyme by tying cheesecloth or using butcher’s twine.
- Sweat onions, fennel and garlic in pot with olive oil. Add herb sachet.
- Add tomato paste. Stir constantly and cook tomato paste for 3 minutes. Add sugar.
- Add water, heavy cream and roasted tomatoes. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Blend in blender. Adjust consistency with water if needed.
- Pass through chinois. Adjust seasoning. Reserve.
- Serve with Beignets.
- Mix all ingredients together.