Mushroom Tacos with Pickled Peppers and Fried Avocado
Menu Directions Culinary Competition 2019
Matthew Hairgrove, Area Supervisor, Denver Public Schools
Evelin Castro, Georgia ProStart, Meadowcreek High School
1 tbsp. spreadable butter with canola oil
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. mixed mushrooms, cleaned and minced
1 med. onion, diced
½ tbsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
½ cup soy sauce
5 tortillas (8-in. size), warmed
3 tbsp. chopped cilantro
1 cup water
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar
1 lb. mixed peppers, julienned
½ cup olive oil, for frying
1 avocado, peeled and sliced into 8 wedges
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
2 cups gluten-free panko
- Prepare mushroom filling: In large skillet, heat spreadable butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Once oil begins to shimmer, add mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms about 10 to 15 min, or until they give up most of their moisture and become golden brown. Stir in soy sauce, salt and pepper. Combine thoroughly and remove from heat.
- Prepare pickled peppers: Place peppers in non-reactive bowl or container. In saucepan, combine all ingredients except peppers. Over medium-high heat, bring mixture to a boil. Pour mixture over peppers; let stand at least 30 minutes to develop flavors.
- Prepare fried avocado slices: Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Beat together eggs and soy sauce; place mix in shallow bowl for dredging. Roll each avocado slice in flour, then dip in egg mixture and coat with panko.
- Fry avocado slices over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown on all sides.
- To assemble: Place 1/3 cup mushroom filling on each tortilla. Fold and top with 1/8 cup pickled peppers and garnish with 1 or 2 avocado slices. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.