Lemon Basil Mascarpone Custard With Lemon Shortbread
Chef Jason Campbell of Lakes 23 restaurant creates a refreshing springtime sweet by pairing citrus-flavored shortbread with lemony custard. Creamy mascarpone cheese distinguishes both the custard and the cookies with its farm-fresh flavor and smooth texture. Use any seasonal fresh fruit or berries as a garnish for this plated dessert.
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
2 lemons, zested and juiced
2 containers (8-oz. each) mascarpone cheese
8 egg yolks
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 oz. fresh basil
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. sugar
¼ cup chilled butter
¼ cup mascarpone cheese
1 lemon, zested and juiced
¼ teaspoon salt
Fresh berries or sliced fruit
- For custard: In 2-quart saucepan, combine cream, milk, lemon juice and zest. Stir in mascarpone cheese; place over medium-low heat. Whisk until combined.
- Meanwhile, in mixing bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Beat with electric mixer until the color is sunshine yellow; set aside.
- When cream mixture starts to scald, remove from heat. Temper some of the mixture into the egg yolk mixture, a little at a time as to not curdle the egg yolks. When about 2 cups have been mixed in, temper remainder of mixture in the saucepan.
- In another small saucepan, combine 1 cup water and basil; poach over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; remove the basil. Place liquid in container; chill overnight. Chiffonade reserved basil leaves and stir into custard mixture.
- Transfer custard to an ice cream maker large enough to hold mixture. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to make frozen custard. When custard is complete, place in a container; freeze until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, prepare shortbread: Preheat oven to 325 F. In bowl, combine flour, sugar, butter, mascarpone, lemon juice and zest and salt; mix until well combined into a dough. Form dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap. Chill dough for 30 minutes before rolling out.
- Remove plastic from dough before rolling out. On well-floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out desired shapes for cookies. Place cookies on a parchment lined sheet tray. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Allow cookies to cool completely before using.
- To serve, plate cookies with a scoop of frozen custard. Garnish with basil chiffonade and berries or fruit.
Photo courtesy of Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese