Honey Thyme Loaves
Chef Megan Forman
Gracious Bakery & Cafe
Honey gives these loaf cakes a distinctive flavor and is a natural preservative, slowing down the drying process. At her bakery in New Orleans, chef Megan Forman complements the honey with savory thyme to create a cake that can fit any meal occasion—from breakfast to afternoon snack to after-dinner dessert.
½ stick (¼ cup) butter
12 sprigs fresh thyme
¾ cup + 1 tbsp. honey
½ cup milk
½ tsp. lemon oil
2¼ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
½ cup sugar
½ tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. grated lemon zest
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup honey
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease mini loaf pans or use silicone loaf-shaped molds.
2. For cakes, in small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until lightly browned. Add sprigs of thyme to butter; let cool.
3. In medium bowl, combine honey, eggs, milk and lemon oil; whisk until well blended. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking soda.
4. Fold wet ingredients into flour mixture; fold in butter. Portion batter into prepared pans or silicone bread molds, using two scoops each. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until golden.
5. Meanwhile, for honey glaze, in small saucepan over low heat, combine all ingredients. Whisk until sugar is melted and everything is combined; cool.
6. Remove cakes from oven and cool on wire racks. Remove from pans or molds and brush tops with honey glaze.
Photograph courtesy of National Honey Board