Chef Dave Woolley
Contributions from several cuisines come together in this salad. Eggplant, feta and mint are three ingredients specific to the Mediterranean, as is harissa—the spicy sauce with Tunisian roots. But the mango sambal combines a tropical fruit with Asian rice wine vinegar and fish sauce, a combo that infuses the dish with accents from other countries. The result is a culinary mashup that makes a bold and flavorful statement.
1 cup chopped ripe mango
2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. fish sauce
1 small seeded and finely chopped serrano chili
2 tbsp. honey
Grilled Fresh Mango
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh lime juice
1 tbsp. rum
Salt, to taste
1 tsp. olive oil
2 ripe mangos
Harissa Spiced Grilled Eggplant
5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. harissa powder
1 quartered and seeded red bell pepper
2 eggplants (1/2 lb. each), trimmed, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
5 cups cooked quinoa
10 tbsp. crumbled feta, for garnish
Chopped fresh mint leaves, for garnish
Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
1. Prepare Mango Sambal: In large saucepan, combine mango and remaining ingredients; cook 8 to 10 minutes. Cool immediately and set aside. Let stand at room temperature.
2. Prepare Grilled Fresh Mango: In large bowl, whisk all ingredients for marinade, except mango. Peel mangos. Cut the cheeks from fruit and trim remaining flesh from pit. Add cheeks and larger pieces to mixing bowl and marinate in mixture about 30 minutes to 1 hour. (Use smaller pieces for sambal.) Preheat grill to medium-hot. Remove mango cheeks from marinade and grill about 8 to 10 minutes, turning mango until cooked through and caramelized. Reserve marinade to drizzle on salad.
3. Prepare Harissa Spiced Grilled Eggplant: In medium bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice and harissa. Season mixture with salt to taste.
4. Grill bell pepper quarters, skin side down, until charred and cooked through. Reduce grill heat to medium. Pour remaining 3 tablespoons oil onto rimmed baking sheet. Place prepped eggplant on prepared sheet and turn to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until charred in spots and cooked through, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes. Return eggplant to same sheet. Add grilled bell peppers to sheet and toss with harissa oil.
5. To serve, divide ingredients evenly by 10 to make 10 composed salads or serve on large serving platter. Drizzle reserved mango marinade over salad. Garnish individual servings with 1 tablespoon crumbled feta and fresh herbs. Serve Mango Sambal on side or toss with quinoa.
Photo courtesy of National Mango Board