Cucumber Peel Ginger Limeade
Chef Norbert Bomm
Morrison’s corporate executive chef Norbert Bomm gives limeade a zero-waste halo by using nutrient-rich cucumber peels as a base. He suggests scrubbing the cucumbers in a baking soda solution before peeling. Fresh ginger adds extra zing to the fresh-squeezed limeade.
5 fresh limes
Peels of 3 medium cucumbers
5 oz. granulated sugar
1 oz. gingerroot, peeled
8 cups water, divided
Blueberries and mint leaves, for garnish
- Juice the limes into large bowl and set aside.
- Scrub cucumbers using a concentration of about 1 teaspoon baking soda per 2 cups water; rinse with cold water. Peel cucumbers and place peels in the bowl with lime juice and 2 cups water. Cover and chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- In saucepan, mix 2 cups water with sugar and ginger; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and steep for 15 minutes; remove from heat and cool. Once cooled, add to the lime juice-cucumber peel mixture.
- Into blender container, pour limeade mixture; blend at high speed until pureed. Strain through a fine strainer and add remaining 4 cups water. Chill in refrigerator.
- To serve, pour over ice. Garnish with blueberries and fresh leaves.