Chimichurri Roasted Chicken Wrap
Chef Scott Samuel
Culinary Institute of America
St. Helena, Calif.
This portable wrap combines several components to create complementary layers of flavor. The roasted chicken, grape and mango salad and chimichurri sauce all can be prepped ahead, and the final assembly takes just minutes. Lavash flatbread is large and sturdy enough to keep the ingredients intact during transport so the wrap retains its texture and flavor.
¾ oz. packed Italian parsley sprigs
¾ oz. packed cilantro leaves
¼ oz. fresh bay leaves, stems removed
¼ oz. fresh oregano leaves
¾ oz. garlic cloves, peeled
2 oz. lemon juice
1½ oz. red wine vinegar
4 oz. extra virgin olive oil
Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
Salt, to taste
1 oz. scallions, very thinly sliced
Roasted chicken wrap ingredients
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
4 whole wheat lavash
2 cups Grape and Mango Salsa
6 romaine lettuce leaves, stems removed and leaves torn
¾ cup Chimichurri Sauce
1 cup sour cream
Grape and mango salad
1½ cups grapes, sliced
½ cup peeled, diced mango
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. lemon juice
¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Prepare chimichurri sauce: Place fresh herbs and garlic in food processor and process until finely minced. Transfer to storage container or bowl; stir in lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and black pepper, salt and scallions. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For chicken, toss thighs with ½ cup chimichurri sauce. Marinate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Place marinated chicken in glass baking dish and roast 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes; chill completely.
- Prepare grape and mango salad: In bowl, combine grapes, mango, olive oil, honey, lemon juice and salt; toss to combine. Let stand 15 minutes to blend flavors or refrigerate until ready to use.
- In small bowl, mix sour cream with remaining ¼ cup chimichurri sauce until well blended; refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble wraps: Slice cooked chicken thighs into ¼-inch thick slices. Lay out lavash breads; spread a thin layer of sour cream mixture onto bottom half of each. Layer on lettuce; top with a thin layer of sliced chicken and some of grape salad. Roll each up each lavash like a pinwheel; secure with 4 to 6 toothpicks. Cut into thirds to serve.
Photo courtesy of California Table Grape Commission