Boursin Fig-Balsamic Gelato
Chef Tony Priolo
This house-made gelato has a short ingredient list but is long on flavor. Chef Tony Priolo adds a little fig-balsamic herbal cheese spread and a healthy portion of aged balsamic vinegar to the basic vanilla mix to create a unique sweet-savory flavor profile.
1½ qt. heavy or whipping cream
1 pt. half and half
8 egg yolks
1½ cups sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla paste
½ cup aged balsamic vinegar
6 pieces fig-balsamic herbal cheese spread
- In heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat cream and half and half to boiling, keep warm at a simmer.
- In bowl of electric mixer, whip egg yolks, sugar and vanilla until fluffy and lemon-colored. Slowly temper hot cream into egg mixture while continuing to whip until well blended and aerated.
- Strain mixture; refrigerate until well chilled.
- Mix the chilled base with balsamic vinegar and fig-balsamic spread until well blended. Pour into container of ice cream maker and churn to soft-serve consistency. Freeze until firm.
- To serve, scoop into dishes and garnish with a cookie.
Photo courtesy of Bel Brands