Chef Katie Cavuto
Blending mushrooms with ground beef gives this bowl a more plant-forward spin. The flavors are amped up with Asian seasonings, including sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and ginger, with crushed red pepper flakes providing a bit of heat. A garnish of chopped cashews adds crunch.
1 large English cucumber, spiralized or thinly sliced
2 large carrots, spiralized or thinly sliced
2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp. lime juice
1 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. grated lime zest
Salt and pepper to taste
Blended beef saute
2 tbsp. honey
1/4 cup reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. crushed red-pepper flakes, optional
1/4 tsp. grated fresh ginger
2 tbsp. avocado oil, divided
8 oz. cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced or grated
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1 lb. ground beef
2 cups cooked jasmine rice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped cashews
- Prepare cucumber carrot salad: In large bowl, whisk together rice wine vinegar, lime juice, honey, sesame oil and lime zest. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cucumber and carrot; toss together and set aside.
- Prepare blended beef saute: In small bowl, whisk together honey, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil red pepper flakes and ginger; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon avocado oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until brown. Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion and garlic; cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 3 to 5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Add mushrooms back to skillet and stir to combine. Stir in reserved sauce mixture; simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, spoon rice into bowl; top with mushroom mixture and garnish with cilantro and cashews. Spoon some cucumber and carrot salad on the side.
Photo courtesy of The Mushroom Council