For customers who can’t decide on potatoes or pasta as a side dish, Slater’s 50/50 offers both in one indulgent package. The Baked Potato Mac and Cheese is served as a shareable side with the restaurant’s half ground bacon-half ground beef burgers at all six Southern California locations.
6 lb. elbow macaroni
4 1/2 qt. Alfredo sauce
3 lb. mashed potatoes
12 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
12 oz. panko bread crumbs
1 1/2 lb. grated cheddar cheese
2 1/4 lb. rendered bacon lardons
12 oz. diced green onions
1 1/2 lb. sour cream
1. Cook macaroni for half the time indicated on package. Drain; drizzle with some olive oil to prevent sticking. Place macaroni flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller or walk-in cooler. Store in sealed bags or plastic containers; refrigerate and use within several hours.
2. Combine Parmesan and panko; set aside.
3. For each serving, to order: In saute pan, combine 6 ounces alfredo sauce and 2 ounces mashed potato. Heat gently without boiling.
4. Reheat 8 ounces (about 2 1/4 cups) parboiled macaroni in simmering water. Drain and add to alfredo sauce. Toss to coat; pour mixture into heatproof bowl.
5. Top mixture with 1 ounce Parmesan-panko mix, 1 ounce cheddar cheese and 1 1/2 ounces bacon. Place bowl under a salamander to brown and melt the cheese.
6. To serve, place bowl on a plate with a liner; garnish with 1/2 ounce green onion and 1 ounce sour cream.