Kate Glahn, marketing communications specialist for Auxiliary Marketing at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, shares her strategies for cultivating a successful online presence.
1. What’s your content approach?
First, we come up with messaging goals for the year. Then we create strategies for different platforms. For Twitter, we follow the 80/20 social media rule: 80% of our content is designed to either help or entertain students. The other 20% reflects our messaging goals—our excellent chefs, our special services, and retail op promotions. For Facebook, we follow a weekly schedule that focuses on sustainability, our dishes, articles about food and health, and photos. For Instagram, it’s all about good-looking food photos, and pictures and videos of events.
2. How can you maximize engagement on social media?
Engage! Starting off, we searched Twitter and Instagram to find posts about our dining halls and responded to students directly when it made sense. As M Dining got more followers, students started making comments and asking questions to our accounts. We answer promptly and honestly, and try to recognize them as individuals.
3. What are some other things to keep in mind?
Developing an account takes time. Answering tweets can be time-consuming and inconvenient, so make sure the person responsible has time to devote to the platforms. Also, be prepared. Complaints and situations might arise on social media, so have a plan in place to deal with sensitive topics.