Tri-tip with Zhatar (Sumac) Rub and Pomegranate Glaze
This roast brings a bit of Mediterranean flair to the table with a sumac rub and pomegranate glaze.
2 tbsp. bottled pomegranate molasses juice
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sumac powder
1 tsp. black pepper
2 lb. tri-tip roast
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
3 tbsp. finely chopped shallot (1 medium)
2 each juice of blood oranges
- Bring pomegranate molasses, blood orange juice, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan over moderately high heat, then boil until reduced to about 1/3 cup, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven.
- Meanwhile, stir together sumac, pepper and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cut tri-tip into pieces to fit large shallow baking pan and pat dry. Transfer steak to baking pan and sprinkle evenly with sumac mixture. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Roast at 450°F until dark brown then drop temperature to 200°F for 10 more minutes.
- Transfer roast and any pan juices to large plate and loosely cover with foil. Let stand 10 minutes.
- While roast rests, heat 1 tablespoon butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides. Cook shallot, stirring occasionally, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Simmer until reduced to glaze, 2 to 3 minutes. Add meat juices from plate and bring to simmer. Whisk in pomegranate reduction and lemon juice.
- Remove from heat and whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Holding knife at 45-degree angle, thinly slice roast against the grain and serve with sauce.