Spring Rhubarb Streusel Tart
Tart rhubarb, brown sugar and cinnamon are stewed together and cooled before pouring into little crusts, topped with grated streusel and baked. Garnish with butterfly tuiles and serve with ice cream.
1 1⁄2 cups flour
1⁄4 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. sugar
3⁄4 cup cold butter, cubed
2 tbsp. milk
4 cups rhubarb in 1⁄4-in. slices
1⁄2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3⁄4 cup sweet butter
1⁄3 cup almond paste
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1⁄3 cups flour
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tbsp. lemon juice
Vanilla or Brown Sugar Sour Cream Ice Cream
1. Prepare Crust: Sift dry ingredients. Cut in butter until pieces are tiny and evenly
distributed. Add milk and mix until dough just comes together. Wrap and chill at least 1 hr.
2. Form dough into 6-8 equal pieces; roll each out to fit into an individual tart pan. Blind bake at 375°F for 15 min.
3. Meanwhile, prepare Filling: Toss rhubarb with brown sugar and cinnamon. Add to sauté pan over low heat; cook 2 min. Cover and stew until rhubarb is just falling apart. Adjust sugar.
4. Prepare Streusel Topping: Cream butter and almond paste with sugar. Add flour, cinnamon, and lemon juice; mix lightly until combined. Chill.
5. Fill tart shells with cooled rhubarb filling. Grate streusel over tarts. Bake in 375°F oven 10 min. until golden brown.
6. Garnish with butterfly tuiles and serve with ice cream.