Spicy Lentil Soup
Chef Brad Farmerie
Saxon + Parole
New York City and Moscow
Chef Brad Farmerie of Saxon + Parole adds complexity to this lentil soup with a mix of sweet and hot spices, including ginger, cinnamon chilies, coriander and cumin. Red lentils further differentiate this Indian-accented plant-based dish.
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp. finely chopped garlic
1 tbsp. finely chopped red chilies
3/4 cup diced white onions (1/2-in. dice)
1/2 cup diced red bell peppers (1/4-in. dice)
1/4 cup diced celery (1/4-in. dice)
1 large lemon, zested and juiced
1 bay leaf
2/3 cinnamon stick
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. achiote
1 tsp. dried red chili flakes (Turkish urfa biber preferred)
3 cups canned tomato puree
3/4 cup red lentils
5 cups vegetable stock
1. In large soup pot, combine olive oil, ginger, garlic and red chilies. Cook over low heat until soft and fragrant.
2. Add onions, peppers and celery; cook until golden brown.
3. Add ground spices and lemon zest and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, bay leaves and cinnamon sticks; simmer on low for 30 minutes.
5. Add lentils and vegetable stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender.
6. Season with reserved lemon juice and salt.
Photo courtesy of USA Pulses