Rack of Lamb with Lamb Croquette
An artfully crafted meal, this pairing of rack of lamb and lamb croquettes delivers tender meat with great flavor in two forms.
For Lamb Croquette:
1 lb. boneless lamb
1 small onion, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 celery stalk, finely diced
2 garlic cloves
1⁄2 tbsp. fresh thyme
Lamb or chicken stock
4 oz. flour
3 eggs, beaten
8 oz. freeze-dried potato flakes
For Rack of Lamb:
4 lamb racks, cleaned
Salt and cracked pepper, to taste
6 1⁄2 cups fresh rosemary leaves
5 1⁄4 cups fresh cilantro
2 1⁄4 cups fresh basil
1⁄2 cup chopped garlic
1 cup pine nuts
2 1⁄2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
7 1⁄4 cups olive oil
Freeze-dried potato flakes, as needed
1. For Croquette: In a sauté pan, brown lamb pieces in olive oil. Transfer to stockpot; add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and thyme and cover with stock. Cook until lamb is very tender; shred meat.
2. Strain stock and reduce by one-fourth, until it turns almost gelatinous. Mix shredded lamb and reduced stock; add enough potato flakes to bind. Pat mixture into shallow pan and freeze.
3. The next day, unmold and slice into strips about 2 in. long by 1⁄4 in. thick. Dust with flour and dip in beaten eggs, then roll in potato flakes; repeat. Deep-fry in olive oil at 350°F until golden brown.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Season lamb racks with salt and pepper; roast to desired temperature.
5. Meanwhile, puree rosemary, cilantro, basil, garlic, pine nuts, and Parmesan cheese. With machine running, drizzle in olive oil to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Remove lamb from oven and brush with some of marinade; sprinkle potato flakes on top. Place back in oven or under broiler until browned.
7. Plate lamb rack with tomatoes and asparagus; garnish with lamb croquette.