Pear and Sunchoke Soup
Chef Ethan Stowell
Anchovies & Olives
Chef Ethan Stowell combines fresh pears, sunchokes and earthy chanterelle mushrooms to create this creamy soup. The seasonal produce infuses the soup with fall flavors, and a bit of bacon adds smokiness. Together, the ingredients make for a satisfying bowl on a cold day.
¼ cup + 4 tsp. unsalted butter
2 small onions, chopped (8 oz. total)
2 lb. sunchokes, peeled and diced
6 to 8 cups sparkling water
5 Bosc or Bartlett pears (1¼ lb.), peeled, cored and diced
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
8 oz. bacon, diced
8 oz. chanterelle mushrooms
4 oz. shallots, thinly sliced
1. In large saucepan, melt ¼ cup butter over medium-low heat. Add onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not brown.
2. Stir in sunchokes and 6 cups sparkling water; bring to a simmer. Partially cover and cook until sunchokes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add pears and cook an additional 5 minutes or until softened.
3. Puree mixture in batches, adding more sparkling water as needed to reach desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper; keep warm.
4. Meanwhile, cook bacon over medium heat until some fat is rendered and bacon is still soft; do not crisp. Add mushrooms; cook until they release their liquid, about 5 minute. Add shallots; reduce heat to low. Cook until shallots have softened and flavors are blended.
5. For service, heat soup and divide into bowls. Garnish each with 2 tablespoons bacon-mushroom mixture.
Photograph courtesy of USA Pears