This recipe was developed by Chef Scott Samuel, conference chef for the CIA, and was presented at the CIA’s Healthy Flavors, Healthy Kids conference in San Antonio in May. Samuel’s presentation was aimed at introducing dark leafy greens beyond spinach onto menus. This pesto would be great on a whole-wheat pasta or as a spread on a sandwich.
1 ¾ cups raw chopped nuts
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 lb. + 9 oz. chopped kale
3 ½ oz. grated Parmesan
1 ¾ cups extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1. Toast nuts in 325°F oven for approximately 8 minutes. Remove nuts and cool.
2. Pulse garlic cloves in food processer until finely chopped.
3. Add kale, toasted walnuts and Parmesan. Pulse until chopped.
4. With food processor running on low, slowly add oil.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrients per 1-oz. serving:
Protein: 1.7 g
Carbohydrate: 1.8 g
Total Fat: 11.1 g
Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
Sodium: 88 mg
Calcium: 57 mg
Dietary Fiber: .5 g
Recipe by Scott Samuel, conference chef for The Culinary Institute of America